Spring is in full swing, and the endless sunny days of summer are just around the corner. While sun worshippers are conscious about protecting their skin with the latest spring and summer fashions, SIHT Optical wants to remind you that your eyes need protection, too! And we know that demanding consumers are on the lookout for statement sunglasses that add a touch of “OMG” poolside chic.
At SIHT Optical (www.sihtoptical.com), we know that sunglasses are the perfect marriage of fashion and function. Unfortunately, not everyone is getting the message. In fact, 27% of adults don’t wear sunglasses and only 58% ensure their children wear them. Not only are a sizeable portion of adults ignoring their eye health, but the majority of children are at risk of developing serious vision disorders as a result of exposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation.1
SIHT Optical warns that, if left unprotected, short-term exposure can leave the eyes bloodshot, swollen, and hyper-sensitive to light. Longer term, eyes can develop cataracts, macular degeneration, abnormal growths on the eye’s surface, and even cancer of the eye.
Unfortunately, UV damage can’t be reversed, but at SIHT Optical, we can help you prevent it. When it comes to protecting your eyes, you’re never too young or too old to begin wearing sunglasses. And at SIHT Optical, we have every style to meet your highest expectations.
Keep in mind, not all sunglasses are created equal. That $5 pair of sunglasses at the grocery store checkout counter may not look any different than a more expensive pair, but it is, and could end up doing more harm than good. Our eyes dilate when we wear sunglasses, so wearing a cheap pair means we’re letting more damaging UV rays into our eyes than if we weren’t wearing any at all. That’s why, at SIHT Optical, we only carry the best brands at the best prices.
SIHT Optical advises its clients to skip sunglasses labelled “cosmetic” and those that don’t offer details on UV protection. If you want to protect your eyes, make sure you find a pair designed to block 99–100% of UV light.
At SIHT Optical, we only carry the top brands and trendiest eyewear that provide you with the best protection. In addition to looking stylish and debonair, there is a myriad of other reasons you should wear sunglasses year-round:
- Skin Cancer: Despite the small, delicate surface area, up to 10% of all skin cancers are found on the eyelid. And it’s an area people often forget to protect. Preventing eyelid skin cancer can be both easy and fashionable, and at SIHT Optical, we can help.2
- UV Protection: You probably protect your skin from harmful UV rays; why should your eyes be any different? Exposure to UV radiation is linked with an increased risk of cataracts and age-related macular degeneration, potentially leading to blurriness and vision loss. What if it’s cloudy? Cloud cover doesn’t affect UV levels significantly. To best protect your eyes from the sun’s harmful UV rays, SIHT Optical recommends you always wear good quality sunglasses.3
- Reducing Headaches and Eyestrain: In some very bright conditions, the pupil cannot constrict small enough to reduce light to a comfortable level. Muscle fatigue associated with squinting and pupil constriction can lead to headaches and eyestrain. At SIHT Optical, we can help you find the perfect pair of sunglasses that can help reduce the amount of natural light reaching the eyes to a more comfortable level.4
- Bigger is Better: The sun doesn’t just shine from the front—studies have shown that enough UV rays enter around ordinary eyeglass frames to reduce the benefits of protective lenses. The experienced staff at SIHT Optical understands that sunlight can come from any angle and reflect off surfaces like water, windows, and cars. Wraparound sunglasses that curve around the temples keep light from shining into your eyes from the sides.5
- Staying Ahead of the Fashion Curve: You can never own too many spectacular pairs of sunglasses. At SIHT Optical, we know everyone wants to look their best, and when it comes to personal fashion, nothing can pull an outfit together like a stylish pair of luxury sunglasses. It’s also important to think about your hair colour, skin tone, and face shape. Embrace the different seasons around you—wear your favourite clothing styles and pair them with sunglasses that reflect the outer and inner you!
- “Finding Your Shades, Protecting Your Vision,” The Vision Council, May 15, 2012; http://mx1.thevisioncouncil.org/consumers/media/ResearchReports/VCUVReport2012.pdf.
- “Detecting and Preventing Eyelid Skin Cancers,” Skin Cancer Foundation, http://www.skincancer.org/prevention/sun-protection/for-your-eyes/detecting-and-preventing-eyelid-skin-cancers.
- Levitt, Shelley. “How to Pick Good Sunglasses,” Web MD; http://www.webmd.com/eye-health/features/how-to-pick-good-sunglasses.
- Robert, Teri. “Why and How to Buy Sunglasses,” About.com, August 25, 2006; http://headaches.about.com/od/triggers/a/sunglasses.htm.
- “A Guide to Sunglasses,” Glaucoma Research Foundation; http://www.glaucoma.org/treatment/a-guide-to-sunglasses.php.